Friday, August 14, 2009

One Tomato at a Time? What’s That About?

About six weeks after I was laid off in March, I decided it would be therapeutic to grow some tomatoes on my deck. Having something to focus on besides myself, something that would grow and be productive, seemed like a good way to channel any negative feelings I was having into something positive. Nearly 100 tomatoes later, I’m happy I did this.

The challenge was to nurture two plants to maturity using organic methods to avoid pesticides or other chemicals so I could visit my deck, pick a tomato and pop it in my mouth without having to wash it. With a couple of applications of organic plant food, companion plants to ward off insects, and daily attention, my two “girls,” as I named them, grew into 4-foot bundles of little yellow and red cherry tomatoes, sweet and ready to eat like candy.

The yellow tomato plant is done, unfortunately stricken by some kind of blight, but it had a good, highly productive life. As you can see in the photo above, the red tomatoes are still abundant, with more ready to ripen soon.

While it’s great having all these delicious orbs, the real point of growing them was to think outside of myself and take life one day (or tomato) at a time. It has been a coping mechanism for me. Some people knit or build things. I grow tomatoes.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Thanks for the explanation. Was wondering where the name came from. This would be great, if possible, as a permanent post on your sidebar. It's so important to remember to "think outside yourself" especially during times "between successes" as you so succinctly put it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Rhona. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those tomatoes look so yummy! My brandywine gave me only three tomatoes. Guess I wasn't spending enough time thinking outside myself. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete