Friday, July 24, 2009

The Washing Machine Wins

If you saw my July 8 posting Problem Solving with Persistence--Life with an Errant Washing Machine, then you know I have a quirky machine. It has almost all new parts, but it continues to knock and rock its way through the spin cycle. This machine has been quite an interruption to my job search because I’ve had to reserve several four-hour windows for a repairman to return.

I prepared for this visit by starting a load of odds and ends as soon as the automated phone call came to tell me that I was next in line for a service call. When the machine reached the point where it would refill for the final rinse, I paused it.

Aha, I’ll show him, I thought. He’ll nod and say, “Wow. I see what you mean!” Just the day before, when I ran it, the machine sounded like it was going to take off for the moon, so I was confident that Bob, the repairman, who I had previously found to be a nice guy and very competent, would agree that this loco washer should be replaced.

But, of course, it didn’t perform. Just like the toothache that goes away the moment you sit in the dentist’s chair, the machine silently laughed at me while it spun the load. That day it sounded quiet as a kitten. So, the beat goes on.

3 comments:

  1. That's because you only through in "odds and ends". Had you washed towels and jeans and socks?? Totally would have rocked your world. You have to make sure you put articles of differing weights in there to really get the off center full tilt boogie from the machine.

    I myself have a dryer that is out of commission, and a friend down the road with a load of my kids' camp clothes in her dryer. Love friends with dryers that are way better than mine! Oooh, the fancy options!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, and I did do a mixed load that included a towel and socks. The problem with our machine is something besides being off center. It's something internal that has nothing to do with what we are washing, unfortunately. But we will learn to love it, loud or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your washing machine is a rock 'n roll survivor!

    ReplyDelete