Monday, July 20, 2009

Job Hunting With a Point of View

As Lois Kelly writes in her book on marketing in today’s social world, Beyond Buzz: The Next Generation of Word-of-Mouth Marketing, some of the most successful companies identify a point of view that defines how they will operate. Taking this one step further, what is your point of view about your career?

What do I mean by this? Your vision addresses the characteristics of a career move, but your point of view is all about who you are. Here’s a brief example of a point of view:

I want work that I can deeply support and enjoy—something that I can be passionate about. I get a charge from challenges and working with people. I believe in getting the job done, doing it on time and doing it well. Words are my friend.

This point-of-view statement applies to someone who cares about mission because of her own values. She also knows the environmental factors that are important to her and what she likes to do. Now it’s up to her to find and target the organizations/companies that offer the mission, challenge, environment and work mode she wants.

If you have your own career point of view, you are welcome to share it as a comment.

(See the previous post for discussion of defining your vision.)

No comments:

Post a Comment