Friday, December 18, 2009

The “Gifts” of 2009

As the holidays approach, the out-of-work jobseeker could easily fall into a gloomy cloud in the midst of the festivities. If you see yourself sinking into this mood, stop now and look back on the gifts, small or large, that you have received and given in the past year. “Gifts?” you ask. “Is she crazy?”

Well, maybe, but I know that since my own layoff I have learned a lot and met many great people I probably never would have known. For one thing, I became an active social media participant and a blogger, now with more than 80 blog entries posted. My professional community grew because I participated in LinkedIn groups and local organizations, attended countless networking events, and tweeted. This year, through webinars, seminars and workshops, I expanded my knowledge on such topics as web analytics and search-engine optimization. I volunteered my expertise as a judge in a professional awards program and as a career advisor. To bring in some cash, I began freelancing as a writer, editor and marketing pro and spent the last four months filling in part-time for someone out on parental leave, learning a whole new field for me—international development—and gaining new friends.

Sure, I’ve had my moments of fear for the future, but learning, growing and sharing have lifted me so that I can look ahead with hope rather than back with regrets.

My suggestion to you is to make your own list of “gifts” during 2009. Everyone’s list will be different, but, unless you have totally isolated yourself, you are likely to be surprised by all that you have gained this year, even if you lost your job. The gifts can be prizes as small as a hug or a phone call or as large as learning a new skill. They can be family-based or in your wider professional community.

Special Note: During the holidays, I will post two more entries on this blog before launching head first into 2010. You’ll find these on December 22 and December 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment